Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Fish

I was traveling for the last 3 days on account of work. Went to a small but fast-developing city that had beautiful lakes and soothing greenery but had nothing much in terms of shopping, especially for someone like me who came from an undisputed shopping paradise called Bangkok.

But still I had to buy something, something nice - for that was the only way to get rid of the guilt that had immediately crept in as soon as I left my 23 months old daughter behind in pursuit of my own needs. Or maybe, it was just the longing to see some excitement on her face – her lips widening into an ear to ear smile and her eyes twinkling with excitement as she fiddled with an unexpected interesting toy in her hands, bought after much deliberation and thoughtfulness on her Mummy’s part. I wasn’t really sure what the real reason was but the fact that I had to buy something was an absolute must.

I managed to grab a couple of hours on the very first day of the visit. Slipped into my T-shirt and Jeans (Couldn’t afford to venture out in one of the only two formal sets of clothing that I had) and turned right from the hotel entrance, in hope of locating a few baby shops that I had spotted the same morning on my way from the airport. It was scorching hot and a few gracious taxis did slowdown in anticipation of a positive nod but had to speed away disappointed, for walking seemed to be the best way to get to my destination. The shops lay somewhere in the vicinity of the hotel, and I was convinced that an over-enthusiastic taxi was bound to overshoot my target cutting into the only two hour break that I had managed for myself.

“City Babies” read the first shop. I got in excited having looked at the elaborate tri-cycles and baby cots that were visible form the glass window. There were loads and loads of Chinese toys inside – all carrying a sincere promise of immediate lead poisoning and extremely low quality of manufacturing. Moving away in disappointment, I headed towards the relatively smaller section of soft toys, and realized that some of them already formed part of Mira’s overwhelming toy collection while some of them just didn’t look right.

And then, my eyes fell on her - bright and charming, yellow in color, wide black stripes, think pink lips and big black eyes. I instantaneously liked her. The cash counter did dampen my spirits though – she was far cheaper than what I had imagined her to be and the loss of currency wasn’t weighty enough to justify my 3 days of absence from home. Visited the other two shops in desperation but to absolutely no avail.

Coming back home was an exciting experience. As I slammed shut the door behind me, I saw Mira standing next to the book shelf in the passage, making up her mind about which book to pick. Papa and Daadi came running out of their individual rooms, anxious to see the reactions of a long-separated child. I moved as fast as I could while loudly exclaiming “Hello Mira” all the way towards her. She didn’t react much – a tiny blank face probably struggling to figure out the quantum of time that had elapsed since I last met her – was it normal or not?; was it more than usual?; was she around mostly as she always used to be? A minute long pause and then, she held out one of her favorite books to me, and said – “Mummy Mira read book”. No complaints, no tantrums, no realizations – I’ve to confess to my gratitude for having things the way they were and to my confidence for enhanced work-related travel in the future.

And yes, the fish happened to be a much bigger hit than what I had expected it to be. It is either trailing behind her sweeping the floor, or supporting her head as a nice soft cushion, or just lies next to her as she puts together her puzzles or goes through her books.

Papa being the Indian parent he is, didn't let go of the chance to teach something educational even with the fish. In his usual instructive tone, he said – “See Mira, Fins and tail. Fish’s fins and tail.” Me being the wicked mom I am, asked her – “If this is fish’s tail, where is Mira’s tail?”. Mira’s hand immediately shot back and ran across her entire bum, while her eyes reassured me that I’m going to soon locate it, don’t you worry.

Papa and I burst out laughing. Wonder if life could be anymore fun, exciting and content than what it is now!

22 comments:

Mona said...

must have been a real relief to know that mira didn't take the separation too badly :)
the pictures with the fish are cute :)

Piper .. said...

What an awesome post! :) Your lil one is such a sweetheart!! :) Just loved the pics. I dunno what it is about this episode you`ve narrated. But something about it has struck a cord with me. Maybe its the fact that,with children, its really the thought that matters,huh? you dont really have to get them expensive gifts! Or maybe its the way you`ve written about for feelings on leaving the lil one behind.. Dunno what it is, but something about this post is verry touching. And hey, does Mira turn 2 next month? :) Have you started planning for the party??

dipali said...

This is so sweet! What an adorable child you have:)

Fictional Desi said...

lol
such a joy reading this post.
i love the things kids do and say. and i love their expressions!

D said...

The gift is very sweet. And irrespective of the guilt, all parents should get their children gifts when they go out. I still remember very fondly each gift that my parents got me whenever they left me behind. Even now, when I'm all grown up and married, I expect them to come home from a trip with a gift for me. That's one thing I'm always going to do with my children, when I have them - makes them feel special!

Mystic Margarita said...

That's so cute. Mira is such a sweetheart! Love the pics :)

SUR NOTES said...

rest assured. the child is calm and secure in the fact that you will be back to...to read to her...almost as if you were not away at all.

its remarkable that mira being so little has that sense of calm and security. go on, you can pack in a few more work trips without worrying.

and the fish and mira-adorable.

Mama - Mia said...

we LOVE miraisms!!

she is just too cute to be true!! loved the post and her photos with the fish!!

has she been named yet??!! :)

cheers!

abha

Lijy said...

nice pictures... Mira looks really happy with the fish.

Hey, she can name it Arial. Not the washing soap, but the mermaid :)

Savani said...

she is an amazing girl to have taken your travelling in such stride! The fish is sooo cute :)

my space said...

Hey Mira is really cute-so is the fish..and u bet Dad`s love to `teach` any and everything!!

K 3 said...

I think there is some hormone thats gets released the moment our kids are born, and its called the "mommy guilt"! :(

But glad that Mira took well to your absence. Hugs!

Preethi said...

Adorable pics.. its a relief Mira took it well :)

momstir said...

Hi, what a sweet girl Mira is! And a fun cushion is always a hit. I got my 23 month old a car shaped cushion and he decided that it needed a shower so he put it one morning in a bathroom we hardly ever use.

Fictional Desi said...

m!
its good to ba back on the blog:)
read this post all over again and it still made me smile :)

K 3 said...

Hope you are doing well, something for you on my space ....

Piper .. said...

where art thou, my friend?
there`s something for you at my blog

Mystic Margarita said...

Hey, everything ok? Hugs to Mira.

Lijy said...

hi... just dropped in to let you know there is something waiting for you in my blog..

Piper .. said...

hey shall email you soon. have been really busy. all the best with your move as well. settle down and start writing again. miss reading your posts. hugs to the lil one.

Unknown said...

Hey....where have you disappeared??

Homecooked.

Anonymous said...

I am new to blogging...This is good one...